SUSANVILLE PUBLIC

WORKS DEPARTMENT

 

 

 
 

Water and Natural Gas Billing Questions:     (530)252-5111

Public Works Department:(530) 257-1041

For natural gas, water, or street  EMERGENCIES call our 24/7 emergency line (530) 257-7236

 

Natural Gas Safety

Natural gas is a safe and reliable energy source available to homeowners and businesses alike. It’s our responsibility to help you be an informed and educated natural gas customer. By itself, natural gas will not ignite. Natural gas has no odor or color. We add a scent known as "mercaptan" a harmless non-toxic chemical with a distinctive, rotten egg odor to make it easily identifiable.

Call the City of Susanville's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Emergency line at (530) 257-7236 if you smell natural gas or suspect a leak! Always call 911 for emergencies.

 

Natural Gas Home Inspection.

 


How to Recognize a Natural Gas Leak

Indoor leaks will produce the “rotten egg” odor. You may also notice hissing noises coming from your natural gas appliances. You can recognize outdoor leaks by a strong odor which may be accompanied by bubbling water, blowing dirt, dead plants or a hissing sound near a gas line or meter.

While natural gas is not toxic (like other fossil fuel), it can produce carbon monoxide (CO) if it does not burn completely. That’s why all flues and chimneys should be clear of debris, and all natural gas appliances should be in good operating condition. We recommend an annual appliance inspection and installing at least one CO detector in the home.

Natural gas service lines which supply gas to homes and businesses are often buried in easements and on private property. The use of sharp tools can damage these lines, causing injury or loss of service. Before doing any digging, call USA North at 811.


Safety Rules

Here are a few rules to follow to help keep you and your family safe:

· Follow manufacturer’s instructions in the care and operation of gas-fired appliances.

· Have qualified contractors handle natural gas-related repair and installation jobs.

· Use appliances for their intended purpose; don’t use your gas oven to heat your kitchen.

· Keep all combustible materials away from the flame of your gas appliances.

· Keep burners and surrounding surfaces clean.

· Make sure the flues of automatically controlled appliances are corrosion-free, securely attached, and correctly vented.

· Don’t use gas fuel lines as clotheslines.

· Don’t block furnace room air vents. Gas appliances require air to burn fuel completely and operate efficiently. A yellowish flame can signal improper operation.

· Teach children never to turn on or light gas appliances.

· If the pilots flame on a gas appliance goes out, shut off the gas supply at the appliance’s valve and allow time for accumulated gas to escape. Follow the relight procedure posted on the appliance.

 

Gas Leak

Gas leaks are dangerous. It’s important that you know how to recognize and report a gas emergency. Natural gas is odorless and colorless, so we add a harmless substance to it to make it smell like rotten eggs. Why? So you can easily detect a gas leak.

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak:

Do:

ü Leave the area immediately but do not use an automated door. Leave doors and windows open behind you to ventilate the premises.

ü Go to a location where you no longer smell gas, outside of the house or building.

ü Warn others to leave the premises, and do not allow others to enter.

ü Call us at (530) 257-7236 or 911 (call from a neighbor’s house or from another location far from the smell of natural gas) immediately to report the situation, 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.

Don’t:

  •  
    • Light matches or smoke. Avoid use of all open flames.
    • Use any electrical device that may create a spark, including appliances, doorbells and garage door openers.
    • Turn light switches on or off.
    • Use any phones, including cellular phones.
    • Try to locate the sources of the leak.
    • Try to attempt to stop the leak.
    • Re-enter the building or return to the area until you are told it’s safe to do so.

Protect Yourself against Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous, colorless, odorless gas that can result as a byproduct of incomplete burning natural gas or other fossil fuels. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal, so any report of suspected carbon monoxide is an emergency.

Follow these safety tips:

· Call 911 as soon as possible to get medical attention.

· Get into fresh air immediately.

· Do not re-enter the building until an emergency official has determined the building to be safe and given permission to do so.

· Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector.

· Make sure all gas appliances are installed correctly and checked annually.

· Have chimneys cleaned and checked every year for obstructions

· Don’t use outdoor appliances or equipment indoors for space heating or cooking.

 

Symptoms of CO poisoning:

o Flu-like Symptoms

o Headaches

o Drowsiness

o Ringing sensation in the ears

o Nausea

o Blurred vision

o Chest pains

o Light-headedness or dizzines