City of Susanville
Public Works Department
Dan Newton – Public Works Director
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT:
June 16, 2015 Dan Newton, Public Works Director
Phone: (530) 257-1041
Susanville City Council Adopts Water Conservation Ordinance to Comply with State Mandate
SUSANVILLE, Calif., (June 16, 2015) - The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) has adopted a mandatory water conservation regulation that orders the City of Susanville to reduce the gallons of water used per capita per day by 36 percent compared to 2013.
On May 27, 2015, the City Council held a special meeting where an ordinance was adopted in order to comply with the mandatory State water conservation regulations. This ordinance limits outdoor watering to three days per week. Properties with even numbered addresses are permitted to water on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Properties with odd numbered addresses are permitted to water on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. The ordinance is effective as of June 1, 2015, and will remain in effect until February 28, 2016.
“By reducing outdoor water usage by 50 percent, it is estimated that the City water customers can meet the State mandated conservation goal of 36 percent overall. Our goal is to educate the citizens about the regulations and help our customers comply.” said City of Susanville, Public Works Director, Dan Newton.
Prohibited Water Use
Currently, all City of Susanville water customers are prohibited from:
- watering outdoors more than 3 days per week;
- washing down of sidewalks and driveways;
- watering outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excess runoff;
- operating a fountain or decorative water feature, unless the water is part of a recirculating system;
- washing a motor vehicle with a hose, unless the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle;
- using outdoor irrigation during and 48 hours following measurable precipitation;
- restaurants and other food service establishments can only serve water to customers on request; and
- operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option.
Violations of the City Ordinance or any State regulation are subject to enforcement and possible fines of up to $500. The City of Susanville is subject to fines of up to $10,000 per day and possible cease and desist orders if the City does not comply with regulatory mandates set by the State.
The City of Susanville is required to report potable water usage to the State monthly. By working together as a community to conserve water, the City should be able to meet the State conservation goals.
If you have any questions or need addition information, please contact the City of Susanville Public Works Department at (530) 257-1041 or visit susanvillepublicworks.org.